I have always loved the ease and comfort of espadrilles, but when Jeremie took me to see his friend's shoe company, I had to get a pair of these. They are made in France from recycled plastic found in the Mediterranean Ocean. They have a couple of different colours but I was particularly drawn to these blue ocean design ones. I did also get a pair of the beige ones, but the blue are my favourites.
I think these are a great staple item for your wardrobe as you can wear them with little white dresses in Summer whilst exploring a European city, or jeans and a tee in Spring & Autumn whilst strolling through a park.
The reason I chose these in particular is because they are made from recycled plastics found in the Ocean. They had other 'normal' espadrilles available, but I want to encourage brands such as this one to continue in their efforts to save the planet.
I know that the fashion industry is one of the worst industries in the world in terms of pollution & waste, so if I can help even a little bit, I am happy to do so.
If you want to purchase your own Eco Friendly and recycled plastic espadrilles which are made in France, you can find them here!
"At Payote, since the beginning of our adventures in the world of sneakers, we have been committed to defending the environment. First by producing French, which limits our carbon footprint reducing the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere. By opting for materials that are more respectful of the planet, in particular through our collection of plain espadrilles made of organic cotton. By choosing recycled rubber outsoles for all our models, which allows the recycling of this waste.
So this year we wondered what would be our next step towards more eco-responsibility. Seeing the extent of the damage caused by plastic waste discharged into our oceans and seas, we did not ask the question for too long. FYI, it is estimated that, each year, no less than 8 million tonnes of plastic end up in the seas and oceans, contaminating and destroying the marine ecosystem, the most important source of life. We have often pointed the finger at the textile industry, one of the most polluting in the world. But a small revolution is underway and Payote has decided to carry the standard. We decided to collaborate with SEAQUAL, a Spanish company which has given itself the mission to clean up the seas and oceans by collecting the plastic accumulated in them. This plastic is then sent to specialized factories which transform it into PET beads and then make a high quality yarn which guarantees fabrics with greater durability than conventional fabrics. Here is the recycled Ocean espadrille, whose canvas is entirely designed from this SEAQUAL plastic fiber thread.
This ecological sneaker was baptized "Ocean" in order to pay homage to the marine world that we are trying to protect through this eco-responsible initiative. It's our way of encouraging awareness on our scale. Each recycled sneaker purchased will be one less plastic waste in the Mediterranean. And that's not all: the recycled Ocean espadrille has more than one thread in its bag, its stitching is in nylon thread, which guarantees better durability unlike cotton thread. For the finish, we opted for an 18-thread jute sole, for more thickness and comfort. So if you are looking to combine fashion and ecology while keeping your hair in style, this recycled espadrille is for you.
What is SEAQUAL fiber?
It is a polyester fiber designed by the Spanish company Seaqual from plastic waste collected from the seas and oceans. This eco-designed fiber thus helps to combat maritime pollution. Seaqual's objective is to collect part of the 8 million tonnes of waste that ends up in our seas and oceans while combining this cause with the textile industry by manufacturing high quality yarn. In the case of our models of recycled espadrilles, this SEAQUAL fiber composes 65% of their canvas, the remaining 35% is recycled polyester."